History of Lake Lincolndale
In the early 1930's developers built a dam creating
our 20-acre lake and founding our original clubhouse. Between 1934
and 1936 the Lake Lincolndale community was built and the Lake LIncolndale
Civic Association was established.
From 1937 to 1939 lots in the neighborhood became
available through developers, advertised in the New York Post
and Daily Mirror. One of the first homes in the neighborhood,
referred to as Trailblazer, sits next to the clubhouse parking
lot. It was also around this time that the Lake Lincolndale Civic
Association changed its name to the Lake
Lincolndale Property Owners' Association (LLPOA), and the Ladies
Auxiliary came into being. Today the Ladies' group is still active
with a membership of over 30 ladies.
From 1940 to 1945 the community progressively grew
in strength, as the LLPOA members were instrumental in bringing
about the repair of the roads and the paving of Lovell Street. In
1948-49 a day camp was established for the children in the neighborhood,
because Lake Lincolndale was mainly a summer residence, and in 1950-51
an athletic field was purchased and the beach was widened.
The cornerstone was placed when the members enlarged
the clubhouse. Through persistent efforts Lovell Street was widened
The Ladies Auxiliary equipped a new kitchen upstairs
in the clubhouse. A dumbwaiter was installed as well as new speakers
for the social hall.
The Ladies Auxiliary purchased a new 10-burner stove
and refrigerator for the downstairs kitchen, and serving wagons
for the upstairs.
Residents began to live in the area on a year round
Repairs were done on the dam.
Dues increased for the first time. A fund drive was
held for the improvement of the lake and clubhouse.
A ceiling and a heating system were installed in the
Redecorating of clubhouse and general repair. Men's
club was started and members helped decorate downstairs.
A reading group for children was started, which evolved
into a nursery school.
A Teen Canteen was formed, however suspended due to
a need for volunteers.
Bicentennial family picnic held. A Time capsule was
A lake dredging project is begun to remove sediment
from and deepen lake. many members volunteered and fund raising
helped complete the project.
Somers Fire Distric installed dry hydrants at two
locations at the lake.
Clubhouse painted and snack bar renovated.
Men's Club installed a horseshoe pit in the back yard.
Work on dam ongoing.
Family bar-B-ques in summer started.
New Oak flooring installed in clubhouse. Vertical
blinds purchased by Ladies club.
Parking Lot paved, New septic system installed.
Beach area installed, Play gym constructed.